Friday, June 11, 2010

Ally Condie's Matched


Dystopian literature revs me up. Excessively controlled, socially repressive society captivates my imagination with its focus on individual freedom versus community success.  Few can argue that the world in dystopian literature, Matched included, has its benefits.  Comfort, health, safety, a sense of purpose and place, these are positive additions to life.  It is always, however, at the expense of choice; life is controlled by a select group of people who are more concerned with logic than emotion.  And despite efforts and ego, humans are primarily emotional beings.

Specific to this book, I felt the story well-crafted if a bit lacking in depth.  For example, I would have enjoyed more backstory on the origins of the Society and more details on their level and methods of control.  Also, the relationship between Ky and Cassia felt a bit random.  It was sort of like love-at-first-sight except the two had known each other for some time. It's not until Cassia sees Ky's face as her Match that she begins to have romantic feelings for him.  I needed a bit more explanation for that.  First thought says Cassia was just too indoctrinated to harbor feelings for someone, but the book makes it pretty clear that teenagers still engage in flirtations with at least some kissing.  So why hasn't Cassia crushed on Ky before this?

Overall though, I really enjoyed the book.  I could read it for long stretches of time without getting bored, a giant plus in my opinion, and my appetite has been whetted for the remaining two books in the trilogy.  At least, I'm pretty sure it's a trilogy...it better be.

For more of my thoughts and my Filmic Connection, head on over to eclectic / eccentric!

No comments:

Post a Comment